ZocdocAnswersHow often do women need to change their Nuva Ring?

Question

How often do women need to change their Nuva Ring?

My doctor said I should change it once a month, but does changing it twice a month boost my likelihood of not getting pregnant? This is very important to me.

Answer

The Nuva Ring is a device designed to deliver hormones into your body that act to prevent ovulation and therefore prevent pregnancy. The hormones it delivers come at a regular dose for 3-4 weeks and thus are designed to be changed every 3-4 weeks. Changing the ring every two weeks will not do anything for your changes of getting pregnant. Whether you change it as directed, or more often, your changes of getting pregnant are very low. If anything changing the ring in the middle of your cycle may actually increase your changes of getting pregnant because it may cause a short lived laps in your hormone delivery. In addition, your prescription should not support getting more than one ring per month. Thus, if you use more than one, your supply will run out prior to you getting a prescription renewal. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. The two of you can discuss our Nuva Ring prescription and how it should be used. You should also ask your doctor what your changes of getting pregnant are on the ring. I think that you will find the risk quite low. If you would like more protection, I suggest using condoms every time you have sex.