ZocdocAnswersShould their be an irony smell in my underwear when I'm not menstruating?

Question

Should their be an irony smell in my underwear when I'm not menstruating?

During the parts of the month when I'm not on my period I still smell something irony. It started recently and I am worried but maybe I shouldn't be?

Answer

There are several potential causes of a metallic odor in the underwear, even when you are not menstruating. Most of these are not serious. In fact the most likely explanation is that it is simply an accident of your body chemistry and unique sweat gland makeup. However, one thing you could try that would be relatively simple would be to make sure that you switch your underwear to a cotton, breathable variety that you change on a daily basis. The extra breathability might be enough to clear up the problem. Certain vaginal infections or imbalances in the normal bacteria that live in the vagina could also be associated with strong odors. In particular, if you have noticed a recent increase in the quantity of vaginal mucus or discharge, or if there is any itching or burning, then these symptoms would be more in line with a potential vaginal infection. If this is the case, you will need to see a doctor, either your OB GYN doctor or your primary care doctor. They will perform an examination, include a pelvic examination, and may perform some laboratory testing as well. Based on these findings, they will be able to tell you if you need further treatment.