Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Do I have excessive vaginal discharge?"


Recently this has hapeend and there is a very bad smell


Development of fowl smelling vaginal discharge usually means that you have a vaginal infection. In general, we divide these infections into three categories. The best type of physician for you to see about this is your OBGYN.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Obgyns near you

1. Vaginal Candidiasis. This is the common yeast infection. It can cause vaginal itching, and a thick white vaginal discharge. 2. Bacterail Vaginosis. This is an overgrowth of a normal vaginal bacteria often Gardnerella. This infection is often described as having a fishy odor. 3. Trichomoniasis. This is an infection with the parasite Trichomonas vaginalis. This infection can cause an inflammed cervix, which can be painful. This is the one infection listed here that needs to be treated in the sexual partner as well. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN or primary care physician (if you don't have an OBGYN). He or she can listen to your description of your symptoms and perform a pelvic exam. Your doctor will want to take a sample of your vaginal discharge for analysis under a microscope. Often this analysis can provide you with a diagnosis. If it does not, then you may end up getting treatment anyway if your story is strong enough for one of those infections.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.