ZocdocAnswersIs it possible to have too much vaginal discharge?

Question

Is it possible to have too much vaginal discharge?

I have to change my underware a lot, kind of worried about this

Answer

A certain amount of vaginal mucus can be normal. Some people will even have significant amounts of vaginal mucus and this can be normal, but it is pretty unusual to be soaking through multiple pairs of underwear (although not totally outside the range of normal for some women). Therefore, I think it is probably worth getting this checked out by your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor. Things that could cause increased vaginal discharge would include bacterial vaginosis, which is an imbalance in the natural vaginal bacterial composition, leading to discharge, odor, and sometimes itching. The condition is usually easy to diagnose and to treat with simple prescription medications. Similarly, some sexually transmitted infections, such as chlamydia or gonorrhea or trichomonas, may be associated with increased vaginal discharge. Again their may be odor, pain with urination, or abdominal or pelvic pain. Your doctor will be able to diagnose these conditions with a pelvic exam and some laboratory tests. In the meantime, if you have any worries that this might be a sexually transmitted infection, you should take care to avoid sexual intercourse until you are seen by the doctor. This will prevent any spread of a potential infection.