Click to book now:

Is it safe to take aspirin for menstrual cramps?

I have really bad cramps.I have tried lots of painkillers, nothing helps, taking a lot of aspirin
Menstrual cramping can be very painful. In patients in whom their cramping takes a major toll in their life, I like to make sure that their is no other cause of these symptoms. Painful menstrual cramping can be a normal occurrence, or it can be associated with conditions such as endometriosis, uterine fibroids, and adenomyosis. All three of these are uterine disorders that are not life threatening, but can cause painful cramping and often excessive vaginal bleeding. A pelvic ultrasound should be performed which can help diagnose or rule out uterine fibroids or adenomyosis. If your doctor is not concerned about these causes of cramping, then the next step is to get you on an appropriate treatment. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin are the best type of pain killer you can use for menstrual cramping. Of the NSAIDs, aspirin is not the best choice. This is because aspirin is also a blood thinner that may (in high enough doses) increase the amount of menstrual bleeding you have. A different NSAID such as ibuprofen or naproxen could be considered. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. The two of you can discuss your symptoms, and what the most appropriate next step is. Good luck.
Find doctors and make appointments online!
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)