What should I do if I cut myself shaving my pubic hairs?

I was trying to shave 4 days ago and ended up nicking myself. I stopped shaving and treated the cut and finished the next day but it still hurts and is very puffed up. Was this the right thing to do? I really didn't want to get an infection.
One of the dangers of shaving any part of the body - and especially the pubic region, as it is difficult to visualize well and has more uneven angles, is a nick or cut from the razor. I think you did the right thing initially, which was to stop shaving and treat the cut. Most of these minor cuts can be treated just with topical antibacterial ointment. With this, they should start to get better in a few days. However, sometimes antibacterial ointment is not enough and the cut gets really infected. Sometimes, these infections can spread through the skin and can be a serious enough problem that they need to be seen and treated by a doctor. If you have any fever, if the area is very painful, or if you notice significant swelling, pus, or spreading of the redness around the cut then these are all signs that the infection may be worsening. If you notice these things, then you should definitely be seen by your primary care doctor. Your primary care doctor will be able to take a look at the affected area and decide whether the infection is progressing or serious enough to be treated with prescription antibiotics.

• Dr. Maiko Ochi
    Dr. Maiko Ochi ND, LAc
    12600 SE 38th St
    Bellevue, WA 98006
  • Dr. Jeff Metzger
    Dr. Jeff Metzger ND
    3401 Evanston Ave. N.
    Seattle, WA 98103
  • Dr. Justin Steurich
    Dr. Justin Steurich ND
    6300 9th Ave NE
    Seattle, WA 98115

• Dr. Ramin Samadi
    Dr. Ramin Samadi MD
    5900 Overton Ridge Blvd
    Fort Worth, TX 76132
  • Dr. Gladys Martinez
    Dr. Gladys Martinez DO
    3313 West Hillsboro Blvd
    Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
  • Dr. Julie Norley
    Dr. Julie Norley DO
    7534 E 2nd Street
    Scottsdale, AZ 85251