ZocdocAnswersCan I get bacterial vaginosis through sex?

Question

Can I get bacterial vaginosis through sex?

I have been sore and having strange discharge since I last had sex.

Answer

You need to schedule an appointment with a primary care doctor or gynecologist to be examined and tested to receive proper diagnosis and treatments. I am providing medical information only and this is not intended as a substitution to visiting your own doctor. You tell me very little and it is difficult to evaluate whether you have bacterial vaginosis. Having soreness and "strange discharge" is not the symptom of bacterial vaginosis only. Bacterial vaginosis occurs when bacteria normally living in the vagina outgrow to upset the vaginal balance, causing the release of a grey or thin and milky discharge accompanied by a "fishy" odor, which may become worsen after sexual intercourse. The exact reason for this bacterial overgrowth is not known. Bacterial vaginosis is not sexually transmitted. However, having multiple sex partners or a new sex partner can sometimes create the conditions where bacterial vaginosis can develop. But it is probably not something you catch from your sex partner. I recommend a visit to a gynecologist soon. The key to proper treatment of vaginitis is proper diagnosis and it is not always easy since the same symptoms can exist in different forms of vaginal infections. Take care.