Can I get rid of stretch marks by applying cream?

Will OTC cream work? I just want to be able to show off my bottom during swimsuit season. Should I consult a doctor?
Avoiding stretch marks is not always easy. Most women tend to get them due to physical or hormonal reasons. Stretch marks are scars left behind generally due to the result of excessive stretching of the skin to the point where the fibers in the middle layer of the dermis have broken. Stretch marks also occur when the level of glucocorticoids hormone secreted by the adrenal gland elevates all through the bloodstream of the human body and the level of this hormone increases at the time of gaining a lot of weight within a very short period of time. There is a good deal of over-the-counter treatments for stretch marks. It is difficult to evaluate whether an over-the-counter stretch mark reducing lotion will work for you because these products so often work more efficiently on some, and less efficiently on others. Topical medications containing tretinoin increase cell turnover and promote new collagen deposition that may improve less severe stretch marks for some. It is a good idea to have a consultation with a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon in person who can evaluate your skin types and the severity of your stretch marks to accurately advise you what your best options for appropriate cosmetic therapy.