Will eating chocolate get rid of my zits?

I have many zits. Will chocolate help or make things worse? I've heard about antoxidants in chocolate.
Acne is a very common skin condition which effects people in their teen years and sometimes into early adulthood. The good news is that there is a lot of great options for treatment. It sounds like you have not yet been to a doctor or tried any of the first line medications. this should be your first step. There used to be a widely excepted notion that chocolate made acne worse. This notion is not supported by any evidence. In addition, antioxidants in chocolate or any other food are unlikely to help either. To control you acne, you need to control the two contributing factors, skin oil production and growth of bacteria. Simple acne can often be treated with a cream containing benzoyl peroxide. This substance reduces skin oil production and kills bacteria that grow in the oil and cause the development of pimples. If this doesn't work, your doctor will have many more options. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can examine your acne and determine if it is simple enough to try the first line medication benzoyl peroxide cream. If your acne is severe, or unlikely to respond to this, then you may warrant referral to a dermatologist.

• Dr. Frederick Ast
    Dr. Frederick Ast MD
    37 E 30th St.
    New York, NY 10016
  • Dr. Weymin Hago
    Dr. Weymin Hago MD
    450 Park Avenue S
    New York, NY 10016
  • Dr. Halina Stec
    Dr. Halina Stec MD
    332 E. 30th Street
    New York, NY 10016