ZocdocAnswersHow often should I wash my face to get rid of zits?

Question

How often should I wash my face to get rid of zits?

I don't want to overwash. Is twice a day too much? My skin is very oily.

Answer

Washing your face is an important part of your everyday hygiene. Certainly you should try washing your face at least once per day. Often we see patients with acne that can take face washing to an extreme and do more damage to your face than you may realize. In addition, rough sponges are sometimes harmful. Washing your face does not reduce the amount of oil that your skin produces. In addition, it does not always reduce the mount of oil inside your pores which is where a pimple begins. I should note that your routine of washing your face is probably not harmful, but you should run this by your doctor to make sure. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can examine your acne and determine what the best initial treatment will be. Likely your doctor will start you off with a medicated cream such as benzoyl peroxide (this can be purchased over the counter as well). This medication can help reduce the mount of oil your skin makes and kill off bacteria that create pimples. If your acne is more severe, your doctor may decide that you need a referral to a dermatologist for further evaluation and treatment.