How can I tell if I have a yeast infection or herpes?

They seem the same. I don't see any sores though. It just itches a lot. What shold I do?
Itching does occur in both yeast infection and genital herpes. Yeast infections are caused by one of the many species of fungus called candida, which normally live in very small amounts in a healthy vagina. Usually the yeast infection occurs when there is a change in the balance in the vagina when the yeast fungus becomes overgrown. The infection produces a thick, white vaginal discharge with the consistency of cottage cheese along with an intense itching sensation, although not everyone with a yeast infection will have the discharge. The discharge can be somewhat watery and is odorless that is causing you discomfort such as pain with urination or intercourse, soreness, and inflammation of the vulva. Genital herpes may accompanied by a watery vaginal discharge, sometimes sores not visible, so a change in discharge may be the only clue. It is often accompanied by itching, burning, pain when urinating, and the presence of oozing blisters. However, many people infecting with herpes never have symptoms or they mistaken them for a yeast infection. On the other hand, herpes-infected people get yeast infections. It is difficult to arrive a confirmed diagnosis without a pelvic exam and diagnostic tests in a doctor's office. I recommend a visit to a gynecologist soon.

• Dr. Curtis Scott Horn
    Dr. Curtis Scott Horn MD
    6402 N New Braunfels Ave
    San Antonio, TX 78209
  • Dr. Martin Glynn
    Dr. Martin Glynn MD
    1525 South Church Street
    Murfreesboro, TN 37130
  • Dr. Ashok Sinha
    Dr. Ashok Sinha DO
    1569 Buford Dr
    Lawrenceville, GA 30043