ZocdocAnswersDoes herpes itch?

Question

Does herpes itch?

How can I make my vagina stop itching? I think I may have herpes but I don?t want to see a doctor.

Answer

Itching in the vagina has multiple causes. Without a pelvic exam and appropriate tests, it is difficult to diagnose what has caused the itching in your vagina. However, I can give you some thoughts. There are several common causes of vaginal itching. The common culprits are yeast infections, vaginitis, bacterial vaginosis, rare lichen sclerosisis, sexual transmitted diseases and chemical irritants that may found in detergents or soaps, feminine hygiene products, vaginal creams and contraceptive products. As well, a person with genital herpes may develop an itching, tingling, or redness, burning sensation in the affected area, and there may be sharp pains in the pelvis or down the leg. However, many people having herpes never have symptoms or they mistaken them for another malady, such as a vaginal yeast infection, jock itch, or hemorrhoids. On the other hand, please do not assume that all symptoms in the genital area are herpes symptoms. People infected with herpes get yeast infections, bacterial infections, genital warts, or urinary tract infections and they also do itch. I strongly urge you to see a gynocologist to receive a pelvic exam and diagnostic tests for a correct diagnosis so that you can be treated accordingly. Best of luck.