ZocdocAnswersCan I go bald from too much stress?

Question

Can I go bald from too much stress?

I am stressed ALL the time. I think I'm losing my hair and I'm only 31. What can I do to keep it?

Answer

Sorry to hear that you are losing your hair! It is a common perception that hair loss can occur from stress - and this basically true. Hair loss from stress is called telogen effluvium, and it is usually provoked by a severe stress on the body - such as a severe illness, major psychological stress, new medication, etc. In other words, it is pretty unlikely for the typical types of "stressful living" that most of us experience to cause hair loss. Similarly, telogen effluvium results in a general thinning of the hair all over the head. Therefore, if your hair loss is more of the male pattern baldness type (thinning of the hair on the sides and receding hairline) this is very unlikely to be telogen effluvium. I suggest that you go to see your doctor about your hair loss. If the hair loss is general, telogen effluvium is a possibility as are a few nutritional or hormonal problems which your doctor can rule out (such as iron deficiency anemia and problems with the thyroid gland). On the other hand, if your doctor determines that your hair loss is more in keeping with a pattern baldness, then there are medications that can be prescribed to reverse or slow hair loss.