ZocdocAnswersAre there baldness cures for women?

Question

Are there baldness cures for women?

I am a 27 year old woman who is losing her hair. How can I make it stop. The hair at the crown of my head looks VERY thin.

Answer

Yes! The good news is that some of the same drugs that work well with men also help women to overcome the hair loss that is so common in many people as they age. While it is not well known to the general population, hair loss is actually just as common in women as it is in men. The reason that it is not recognized as frequently is because women tend to lose their hair in a more diffuse pattern, causing thinning rather than baldness (as opposed to men, who develop the well known male-pattern baldness hair style that is widely recognized). Fortunately, the same first line treatments for men work for women, and if these do not work there are other options as well. Minoxidil is frequently used as a cream or foam applied to the hair, and can have cosmetically significant results that are most pronounced in those who are less than 5 years removed from having started to lose their hair. Please speak with your doctor about the options that are available, and which of them will be right for you. Baldness can be caused by some medical conditions as well, so please speak to your primary care doctor.