ZocdocAnswersHow is distorted vision from crossed eyes treated?

Question

How is distorted vision from crossed eyes treated?

I use to be crossed eyed when i was younger, but i had laser surgery to correct it when i was around 7. I am 21 years old. My eyes look fine now, but the vision in one eye is really distorted. Even if i wear glasses or contacts, i still can't see clearly and the difference in vision from both eyes give me headaches. Is there any possible way i can fix my vision?

Answer

This is a concerning symptom. I would recommend that you discuss this with your primary care physician. If needed (and quite likely) you will need to be sent to an eye doctor (known as an ophthalmologist). This should be addressed as soon as possible. Firstly, vision is a complex process. There are three fundamental components to the vision process in the human. One, is the eye itself. The eye is a complicated structure that transmits light to the retina (the part of the eye that ultimately interprets the visual images we seen). Second, are the nerves (known as the optic nerves) that carry the images to the brain. Third, are the brain centers involved in vision. There are multiple areas in the brain that are responsible for processing, aligning and interpreting the images that the eyes see. Now, in order to determine if or how to help your vision, we need to determine which of the three parts mentioned above are causing the problem. If there is a problem with the eye, an ophthalmologist can identify this. Subsequently he or she may be able to treat this. If not the eye, you may need to see a brain doctor (neurologist) to help. See your doctor early as if not treated early, permanent damage can occur. Good luck!