Why did tubal ligation make my period stop?

Okay I had a tubal ligation 3 years after my second child's birth. My cycles are usually 28-31 days long. I am on my 35 day cycle and have not started my period. I had a negative pregnancy test. So what could be wrong?
I recommend that you talk to your OB GYN doctor or your primary care doctor about this issue. It is a little hard for me to provide much of an answer to your questions without having more details. For example, I am not sure if you had the tubal ligation a long time ago or whether this was a recent procedure. Definitely there can still be a small risk of pregnancy after a tubal ligation. It sounds like you have already done a pregnancy test, but you may wish to have your doctor perform an examination and another pregnancy test just to rule out this possibility. If pregnancy is ruled out, another possibility is that this is simply related to the tubal ligation procedure. In one study of women with tubal ligations versus those without, the ones who had undergone the procedure were more likely to report irregularities in their menstrual cycles. Finally, it is possible that your periods are spacing out due to aging of your ovaries (again I am not sure how old you are). As women age, their periods due tend to get more irregular, either shorter or longer, and this can be a normal part of the aging process. Please talk to your doctor for more information.

• Dr. Jan Friberg
    Dr. Jan Friberg MD
    845 N. Michigan Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60611
  • Dr. Tae Noh
    Dr. Tae Noh MD, FACOG
    4585 Stevens Creek Blvd.
    Santa Clara, CA 95051
  • Dr. Carsten Ronlov
    Dr. Carsten Ronlov MD
    3325 Palo Verde Ave.
    Long Beach, CA 90808