Is brownish discharge normal after a miscarriage?

I had a miscarriage a few weeks ago and now I'm experiencing thick, brown discharge. Is this an after effect of the miscarriage?
I am sorry to hear about your miscarriage. To answer your question, having a brown colored discharge after a miscarriage is normal. It is the result of internal bleeding from traumatic stages of the miscarriage itself. As the pregnancy comes to an end, any blood that remains in the uterus and vagina may have a brown color because the blood is old, thus appearing brown from age and lack of oxygen. While the tissues rejuvenate and repair themselves for your next menstrual cycle, old tissues are expelled from the body, along with the old blood. This is simply the way how your body is naturally cleaning out the reproductive tract. Usually the discharge occurs for 14-21 days as its color progresses from red to brownish to yellow to clear. In most cases, the brownish discharge disappears after the body has rid itself of all the left-over and unwanted tissues from the miscarriage. In the event that the brown discharge continues for an extended period of time, you should see a PCP or OB/GYN right away. If at any time your symptoms are accompanied by severe crampings or foul odor, pelvic pain, fevers or chills, you should go see your doctor the same day or go to the ER.

Nearby OB-GYNs