ZocdocAnswersDoes the size of my breasts have anything to do with my health?

Question

Does the size of my breasts have anything to do with my health?

My breasts haven't developed at all since my mid 20s. Is this a bad sign.

Answer

The size of your breasts likely has no overall bearing on your health. Breast size varies widely because body size and characteristics vary widely. Breast size has most to do with genetics. Women who have large breasts are more likely to have daughters with large breasts. The same is true for women that have small breasts. Breast size is largely linked to hormones that are secreted by the a woman's ovaries. Breast tissue responds to estrogen and other hormones by developing milk producing glands and other tissue. This makes the breasts larger. This is why breast tissue enlarges when women are pregnant. However, each women only has a small range of sizes that their breasts can be. For the most part, after a women has undergone puberty, breasts don't enlarge that much more. Thus it is not surprising that after your mid 20s you did not see a major change in your breasts. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can perform a thorough breast exam to look for any abnormalities. At this visit you can discuss your breast health and determine a plan to screen for breast cancer. In addition, you can get reassurance that you are healthy.