search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is my back pain caused by my breasts?"

ZocdocAnswersIs my back pain caused by my breasts?

Question

I read about large breasts causing back pain. How large do they have to be? I'm pretty small with large breasts and I think it may be causing pain.

Answer

It is true that women with large breasts are more likely to have back pain. This is because muscles in the back need to be used more in women with large breasts in order for them to maintain posture. There really isn't a particular breast size in which back pain does or does not occur. In general, they have to be significantly larger proportionally to the rest of the body (which from your description it appears yours are). Women with this problem often get breast reduction surgery. There are many other causes of back pain which are more common. For example a low back pain is often secondary to a lumbar sprain which can occur with heavy lifting. Degenerative disc disease is also common. This is when the cartilage cushion between your bony vertebrae wear down. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can examine your back and determine whether or not your breast size could be playing a role in your pain. If it is, then you may benefit first from physical therapy. If this doesn't work, then you may look into whether or not breast reduction surgery is the right move for you.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances