Is it normal for one testicle to be larger?

My left testicle is larger than my right. Is this common to all men? Should they be the same size?
Testicular size is something that is difficult to compare between testes. One of the reasons for this is that the left testicle often hangs lower than the right testicle within the scrotal sac. Thus, they are not right next to each other for comparison. The fact that the left one is lower than the right may make it seem larger than it really is. On the other hand your left testicle may in fact be larger than the right. While there is some variation in size between the testes which is normal, a much larger testicle, or one with a lump should be evaluated right away by a physician. This is because an enlarged testicle could mean testicular cancer. Unfortunately, testicular cancer is something sometimes in younger men with one enlarged testicle. Other causes of an enlarged testicle include infection and a dilated blood vessel. If this enlargement is associated with fever or any pain, then these may be possibilities. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can examine your testes very carefully and determine if one is bigger than the other. If there is a difference, then your doctor may order an ultrasound to evaluate the enlarged one.

• Dr. Angela Hon
    Dr. Angela Hon MD
    88-20 Rockaway Beach Blvd
    Rockaway Beach, NY 11693
  • Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa
    Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217
  • Dr. Martin Molina
    Dr. Martin Molina MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217