Will staying indoors make my hay fever go away?

Is the answer to hay fever staying indoors in the AC instead of going outside?
Hay fever is a general term used to describe an allergy to airborne plant pollens that infiltrate the air starting in the spring time. Because many air conditioners contain a filter, the pollen and other plant material doesn't get into the house when the air conditioning is on. While staying indoors certainly will help you symptoms, I don't think this should be your first option. There are many great treatments for seasonal allergies that you should try before resorting to staying indoors through the whole spring and summer. For example, antihistamines can really help allergy symptoms. This is a class of medications which block histamine, the chemical which causes our allergy symptoms. In addition, there are nasal sprays which can reduce and prevent symptoms from appearing in the first place. These nasal sprays contain a steroid medication which calms down the inflammation in your nasal passages. If your allergies are bad enough that you are contemplating staying indoors, one of these medications is probably a good place to start. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she will want to listen to a description of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. From there, you can get the appropriate first line treatment. Good luck.