ZocdocAnswersAre these genital warts?

Question

Are these genital warts?

i have a twp part question. part 1 i'm a 20 year old male and have never had sex or sexual contact. i have bumps on the head of my penis and under on the shaft i have had them for several years and they have not gotten worse, i do have an appointment with a dermatologist in the next few weeks. the bumps are not painful and dont itch or get irritated unless there is some sort of contact, this itching or irritation only occurs after masturbation and that is the only time it occurs. Part 2 I am also very careful but a few days ago i was tired and had my hand on my penis and brought my hand to my mouth. i fell asleep before cleaning my mouth so if it is genital warts is it possible for it to transmit to my mouth?

Answer

Some questions to consider include have you noticed any worsening of these lesions or pain associated with them? Have you ever had these types of lesions anywhere else on your body or only along your penis? Have you had any contact with other people's towels or other potential causes for disease transmission not sexually related? These are important questions to consider and along with your presenting symptoms, clinical exam and medical history will help your primary care doctor decide upon the appropriate work up and possible treatment options that are available for these lesions. This may include labs tests or imaging studies and perhaps a referral to a specialist depending on what is found. In terms of your second question, it depends on what the cause of these lesions are whether or not it is something that may be transmitted to your mouth. In general, it is difficult to assess what type of lesions these are but it is important that you are evaluated by your primary care doctor because he or she will best be ale to evaluate these lesions and make the most appropriate work up and treatment. There are lesions that can be caused and transmitted nonsexually but can be treated with a variety of methods.