ZocdocAnswersWhat causes small bumps on the stomach?

Question

What causes small bumps on the stomach?

I have small bumps that look similar to goosebumps on my stomach, what cuauses this? They look just like goosbumps but they're permanently placed there. This happened recently so I'm not exactly sure whyor how they're suddenly appearing.

Answer

There are some questions to consider that may help with diagnosing what these small bumps could be. Have they changed in appearance, become red, tender or itchy? This could mean that there is an underlying infection associated with these bumps. Have you noticed any recent fevers, chills, nausea or vomiting? Again, this could indicate an infection that has gone into your blood stream and could be very serious. Have you had any other recent illnesses, such as a viral upper respiratory infection? Do these bumps get better or worse with anything, such as changes with temperature? This could mean that your skin is sensitive to temperature changes which is normal. These are important questions to consider and along with your medical history, presenting symptoms and clinical exam will help your primary care doctor decide upon the appropriate work up and possible treatment options that may be available. This may include lab tests or imaging studies and possibly a referral to a specialist depending on what is found. In general, these bumps can often be a normal but because there is a possibility that there is something concerning underlying these bumps, it is important that you are evaluated by your primary care doctor as he or she will best be able to evaluate these and decide upon how concerning they may be. Good luck!