ZocdocAnswersWhy does my hip hurt?

Question

Why does my hip hurt?

I had a totla hip replacement year ago starting to hurt bad. i have to help with my hands to pick my leg like to get into the car or bed and even when i cough it hurts

Answer

Here are some questions to consider that might help elucidate the cause of this pain that you are experiencing. Have you noticed that this pain is worse when you wake up or go to sleep? This is sometimes associated with stiffness i8n the joints after hip replacement. Is this the same type of pain you had prior to the replacement? Have you had any fevers, chilld, nausea or vomiting or have you noticed any changes to the incision site? This could be a sign of an infection of the hardware which is very serious and needs to be evaluated as soon as possible. Any other changes that have occurred recently that you have noticed? These are important questions to consider and discuss with your primary care doctor, as he or she will best be able to evaluate your medical history, presenting symptoms, and clinical exam and along with the answers to these questions decide upon the appropraite work up and treatment options. In general, there are many possible causes for your hip pain. For this reason, it is suggested that you are evaluated by your primary care doctor who will best be able to decide what this potentially could be and how to help improve this pain in the future.