ZocdocAnswersCould a brown growth be cancer?

Question

Could a brown growth be cancer?

my 25 yr son had an underarm tumor.A biopsy was done on the tumor & it was benign. Now at the biopsy site a brown cauliflower type growth has grown rapidly. Could it be cancer? My son is a survivor of aveolar cancer. The new growth is brown and about 1/4 of an inch in length. It is located under his arm.

Answer

Here are some questions to consider that might help you elucidate the cause of this new brown growth at the site of a prior biopsy. Does your son have a history of scar formation that is more than the normal scar formation that you would expect? What were the results of the biopsy that was done and have they told you whether that was associated with the alveolar cancer that you son had previously? These are important questions to consider and discuss with your son's primary care doctor as he or she will be best able to evaluate his medical history, presenting symptoms and clinical exam and decide upon the appropriate work up. This may include lab tests or imaging studies and perhaps even a referral to a specialist depending on what is found. There are a variety of causes for a rapid growth to occur at the site of a biopsy and so it is very difficult to assess this over the internet. It is highly recommended that you are evaluated by your primary care doctor who will best be able to further investigate what is causing this growth and decide upon the appropriate referral and treatment options.