Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

Why am I sleeping so much?

i sleep more than when im awake.when im awake i feel confused weak,and tired.im 31 im usually active.im not on any medicine.this is really unusual for me.
Your symptoms could be due to many different problems. It seems that you are suffering from severe generalized fatigue and excessive daytime sleepiness. These symptoms should always be investigated. The best physician for you to see first is a primary care doctor such as a family physician or internal medicine physician. The first condition that comes to mind is sleep apnea. This is a condition where we stop breathing during sleep causing frequent awakenings that are not always noticed. People can often feel very tired and weak during the day and require more sleep. Another cause of feeling weak and tired is an infection. Some infections last a long while and the body's immune system which can be activated can cause symptoms of fatigue. Other disorders such as autoimmune diseases activate the immune system as well and can cause generalized weakness, fatigue, and need for more sleep. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can examine you carefully and listen to your description of your symptoms. If a sleep disorder is suspected, then you may warrant referral to a sleep medicine specialist. If another condition is suspected, then you may get blood work, perhaps some imaging of your body and head, and referral to another specialist. I hope you feel better.

• Dr. Joseph Sack
    Dr. Joseph Sack MD
    7570 W 21st St N