"If I fell and hit my head but did not go to the doctor to see if I had a concussion, are there any risks to my health I should know about?"

I fell and hit my head riding my bike. I felt woozy and couldn?t seem to concentrate for the rest of the day after I fell.
Falls and head injuries account for the majority of trauma related emergency visits. Though it may appear benign, a head injury can often be devastating and have long lasting effects. Concussion is a form of traumatic brain injury (TBI). It is well recognized in professional sports and aggressively treated. A hard hit to the head can cause micro tears or stretching of the nerves in the brain resulting in symptoms such as headache, light-headedness, poor concentration, and forgetfulness etc... Similar to a bruised muscle where you feel soreness and pain for a few days, the brain needs time to recover from a TBI as well. There may not be any signs of gross injuries on conventional imaging like a CT scan or an MRI. However, you would need to be evaluated by a physician who is familiar with trauma like at an ER or trauma center to determine whether or not you would need imagings this far out from your fall. Usually, recovering from TBI takes time. There is nothing you can do to speed up this process. You may find symptomatic relief away from excessive noise or lights and activities that takes a lot of "brain power". If your symptoms persist, you should certainly get an evaluation by your PCP or an ER visit.

• Dr. Robert Goode
    Dr. Robert Goode MD
    8015 South East 28th Street
    Mercer Island, WA 98040
  • Dr. Robert Killian
    Dr. Robert Killian MD
    901 Boren Ave
    Seattle, WA 98104
  • Dr. Sam Warren
    Dr. Sam Warren MD, MS
    613 19th Ave East
    Seattle, WA 98112