Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What could the itchy bumps on my skin be?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat could the itchy bumps on my skin be?


I am a 27 year old female who works in a regular office job. Could I have caught some kind of skin infection? The bumps are very itchy and puss comes out when they burst.


This could be a skin infection called folliculitis. Folliculitis is an infection of the base of the hair shafts, caused by bacteria invading there. It results in small bumps around the hair shafts which can sometimes accumulate pus like you are describing. Folliculitis is common in areas subject to a lot of moisture from sweating or friction (such as the backside). It is also more common in areas that are frequently shaved, waxed, or otherwise manipulated. Usually it can be treated with just good skin hygiene (with an antibacterial soap) as well as the application of small amounts of antimicrobial ointment to the spots. However, if the areas do not begin to clear up soon, or if there is any worsening redness or pain these could be signs that the infection is worsening and that you need to seek medical attention. Another condition that is similar in many ways to folliculitis are ingrown hairs, which occur when the hairs grown back down on themselves into the hair follicle. Again this results in red bumps. Also, this is more common in areas of skin that are shaved or waxed and in areas of friction. It is treated in much the same way as folliculitis. Again, talk with your primary care doctor if this doesn't clear up.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.