Can removing gluten from my child?s diet help with her eczema?

My 2 year old daughter has had eczema ever since she was only a few months old. My husband and I have taken her to several allergists and dermatologists. We tried no dairy in her diet, but it didn?t work.
Eczema is a skin condition that causes inflammation of the skin. In young children, the condition can effect many different areas of the skin and in adults, it likes to hang out in the inside surfaces of the arms. While we do not know exactly what causes eczema, it likely is a type of allergic reaction, or perhaps an overly sensitive immune system. Gluten is a protein found in many wheat and grain products. Gluten allergy (or gluten sensitivity) is a disease that primarily affects the gastrointestinal tract and can cause diarrhea and abdominal pain. Gluten sensitivity can also cause a skin problem called dermatitis herpetiformis. Going on a gluten free diet will only help your child if she has a gluten allergy. This is something that should be formally diagnosed before you go forward with a dietary change. If your daughter's skin condition is eczema, the gluten free diet will not help the problem. I suggest that you take your daughter back to a dermatologist. The dermatologist can take a close look at your daughter's rash, review the treatments you've tried so far, and perhaps recommend a new treatment. It is possible that she will need allergy testing in the future. Good luck.

Nearby Dermatologists