ZocdocAnswersWhat can I do about severe pain in my ear?

Question

What can I do about severe pain in my ear?

I had a lot of pain in my left ear. My ENT doctor gave me ear drops for ear fungus. Should the drops be causing me pain? It really hurts after I put them in.

Answer

As you know already, otitis externa is an inflammation of the outer ear and auditory canal caused by bacteria. Less commonly, outer ear infection may be related to a fungal infection (otomycosis), which reveals a white, mold-like appearance that is a "fungal ball". Candida albicans and Aspergillus species are the most common pathogens responsible for the condition. Although ear fungus usually itches, severe pain may occur. But it is possible that those antifungal ear drops are responsible for your pain since it takes effect after you put them in. Antifungal ear drops are of value in that they work to cure the infection and to return the ear canal skin to a healthy condition. Such effective treatment for fungal outer ear canal infection is the combination of topical antiseptics, drying and acidifying agents, anti-inflammatory agents and anti-fungal medicines. When the ear canal skin is inflamed from acute otitis externa, the use of diluted acetic acids may make the pain worse upon contact with the infected area because they can burn. You can take over-the-counter pain medications to relieve your pain. It is also good idea to have a consultation with your ENT doctor to have your pain evaluated so that he or she may prescribe you a different antifungal medication.