ZocdocAnswersCan low blood pressure cause headaches?

Question

Can low blood pressure cause headaches?

My head hurts a lot lately, and my family has a history of blood pressure problems. Could a problem with my blood pressure be causing my headaches?

Answer

Sorry to hear that you are having such persistent headaches! Having a family history of high blood pressure does put you at a higher risk of developing it yourself, as it is at least partially inherited. Low blood pressure (which you mention in your question) does not cause headache. However, high blood pressure certainly can! Other symptoms of high blood pressure might include blurry vision, shortness of breath, chest pains, palpitations, or swelling in the legs. If you have any of these symptoms you should see your doctor right away, as they could be potentially serious. Furthermore, if you have never had your blood pressure checked by your doctor, then you should definitely have that done, since your family history means that you will have to watch this closely. If your blood pressure is normal, then your headaches are more likely either to be tension headaches or migraine headaches. Sinus problems and allergies can also provoke headaches. All of these conditions have good medical treatments available, so if the headaches continue you should set up an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss them and to see whether or not you should try a medication to take care of them!