ZocdocAnswersWhat can cause my eye to become sensitive to light?

Question

What can cause my eye to become sensitive to light?

Sometimes my right eye feels funny, kind of like its swollen. It also seems to be more sensitive to light than my left eye. What could cause this?

Answer

This is an interesting symptom, and if it persists you should probably get it checked out by your primary care doctor or your eye doctor. I am not sure what is going on but I can think of a few possibilities. First you could have some allergies that are affecting your eyes (called allergic conjunctivitis). It would be unusual for this to affect one eye more than the other, but not impossible. Redness or itchiness or puffiness would be other symptoms. Allergies in the eyes can also definitely cause a sensation of light sensitiveness. Another possibility might be a migraine headache, if the funny sensation is followed by a headache. Migraines can sometimes causes "auras" which can have visual manifestations. Depending on your age and what other risk factors you have, problems like increased pressure in the eye (glaucoma) can definitely begin primarily in one eye. Similarly, on inflammation around the eye (iritis) could be primarily in one eye. Your doctors will be able to consider these possibilities and others. You should urgently get in to see your doctor if you have any eye pain or deterioration in or loss of vision. Otherwise, you should schedule an appointment at your convenience to have this issue checked out!