ZocdocAnswersWhat are the usual signs of diabetes?

Question

What are the usual signs of diabetes?

I am overweight and when I exercise I feel like I have to drink water constantly. Afterwards, my hands and legs feel shaky, like I haven?t eaten in days. Could this be a warning sign of diabetes?

Answer

Diabetes, as you know, is a condition in which the body loses its ability to regulate blood sugar levels well. Most cases of diabetes are type two diabetes, which is caused when the body becomes relatively resistant to the action of insulin, the hormone that control blood sugar levels. Type two diabetes is more common in those who are overweight, as being overweight is one of the factors that contributes to insulin resistance. Symptoms of diabetes are symptoms are having high blood sugar. Some of the most common symptoms include feeling thirsty all the time, feeling hungry all the time, and having to urinate very frequently. Other symptoms may include fatigue, blurry vision, and dizziness. Granted these symptoms are not specific for diabetes as they can be caused by many other things. For example in your case, it is very possible that you feel like you have to drink water constantly because you are getting dehydrated from the exercise. Feels shaky after exercising could also be a sign of dehydration or it could be a sign of workout out too hard and being too fatigued. However, it is definitely worth talking to your primary care doctor about the possibility of having diabetes and getting a complete medical checkup for yourself.