ZocdocAnswersHow long does a tetanus shot last?

Question

How long does a tetanus shot last?

My doctor gave me a tetanus shot last time I saw her because I couldn?t remember my last one. When should I get another shot? I forgot to ask her.

Answer

When was the last time your saw your doctor, and what was the reason that you received the tetanus shot at that time? Was it for a recent concern for possible infection or was it because of routine vaccination? The answer to this questions, along with your medical history, presenting symptoms and clinical exam will help your primary care doctor decide upon if and when you will need the next tetanus vaccine. In general, each vaccination has a different administration schedule and so it is important that you discuss this question with your primary care doctor as he or she will be able to look at your medical history and decide if and when the appropriate time will be for you to receive the next booster shot of tetanus. The tetanus shot often is paired with a group of other vaccinations and the group together is called the tdap vaccination. This include tetanus, diptheria and pertussis. Usually, tetanus is given every 10 years unless there is an injury concerning for tentanus transmission, and then it is given at the time of the injury. Depending on your vaccination history, your doctor may decide that this combined vaccine may be best for you.