ZocdocAnswersWhat can cause sudden hair loss?

Question

What can cause sudden hair loss?

I?m a female, 29 years old. All the sudden my hair is coming out in large clumps. What could cause this? Is this a serious problem?

Answer

There are several potential causes of hair loss. I would highly recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor or your dermatologist to help you figure out what might be going on! There are a few medical conditions that can be associated with hair loss. In particular, iron deficiency is associated with hair loss. If you have a history of anemia, this might be a possibility, and many doctors will check for iron deficiency when working up hair loss. Similarly, problems with the thyroid gland can also be associated with hair loss, and so it is usually worth checking thyroid function to be sure. If there is any itching, scaling, or other noticeable inflammation going on in your scalp, then this inflammation is probably the cause of the hair loss. Things like seborrheic dermatitis and fungal infections can do this and they need to be treated. If you have these scalp symptoms, your doctor can help you figure out an appropriate treatment. Finally, a condition called telogen effluvium is a form of uniform hair loss which is usually triggered by some significant stress to the body, such as a new medicine or serious illness. Start by setting up an appointment with your doctor to figure out what is going on!