ZocdocAnswersWhat is the best way to get rid of acne?

Question

What is the best way to get rid of acne?

Have had acne for going on four years now, and I am now 18. I don?t know what to do. I?ve tried everything, how can I make my acne go away?

Answer

Acne is a very common skin condition that has many treatment options. It is important for you to get your acne treated by a doctor to make sure that you are using the right medications, and avoiding any activities that can make your acne worse. Acne can often be treated with creams such as benzoyl peroxide. When this fails, there are many other options. For example, certain antibiotics and other medications such as retinoid creams can be very effective at treating acne. Finally, acne that does not respond to any of these medications can be treated with the medication isotretinoin (Accutane). This is a medication that can clear up any acne, but does come with the risk of some serious side effects. It sounds like you have not been to a doctor yet. Therefore you should first schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. Your doctor can examine your acne and make sure that it has a chance to respond to the first line medication (benzoyl peroxide cream). After a trial on this medication, you can see if your acne responds. If your particular case of acne is severe or does not respond initially to treatment, then you may warrant referral to a dermatologist.