ZocdocAnswersHow do I get rid of my pterygium?

Question

How do I get rid of my pterygium?

I started having some discomfort in my eye a little while back and after I looked some stuff up online I think I have pterygium. I am a 22 year old female college student. It?s getting kind of embarrassing, so how do I make it go away?

Answer

A pterygium is a benign (non cancerous) growth on the cornea (surface of the eye). Pterygium can appear on either side of the eye, but they are much more common on the side of the eye closest to the nose. Usually the start as a small speck of discolored tissue there and can grow in a triangular fashion towards the center of the eye. Pterygium are thought to be a reaction of the corneal tissue mostly to chronic irritation and damage for sun rays, wind, dust, etc. Therefore they are more common in those who work out doors and in those who do a lot of out doors sports, like surfing or running. The most important part of dealing with a pterygium is to protect they eyes. You should wear wrap around sunglasses to protect they eyes and prevent dust particles from getting in to them. This will prevent further irritation to the eye and will slow down the growth of the pterygium. Sometimes they even will shrink altogether. Options for removing the pterygium are surgical. However, the surgery is not always successful in that there is a high rate of regrowth of the pterygium. Therefore, surgery should be reserved for cases in which the pterygium is a problem for eyesight. Talk to your eye doctor if you have more questions about this problem!