ZocdocAnswersHow should I care for a heat blister?

Question

How should I care for a heat blister?

While I was using a hot glue gun for a college art class, I burned my finger pretty bad. Now, the blister from the burn just keeps getting bigger and my skin is separating from my finger nail. What should I do?

Answer

First of all, avoid popping or peeling back the blister of you can (however if it is large, you may need to lance it if it is getting in the way). This is because the more covered you can keep the underlying area of raw skin, the less likely that it will get infected. If the area is exposed, consider covering it with an antibiotic ointment and a bandage. For the pain, you may want to take an anti inflammatory medication. Medications like ibuprofen or naprosyn are usually quite good for relieving this kind of pain if taken as directed. If you see any evidence of infection (spreading redness, pus, or other concerning symptoms) or if the pain is very severe, then you should make an appointment to see your doctor. Sometimes, burns are severe enough that they require additional treatment, and your primary care doctor will be able to examine the burned area and help you to decide if further medical treatment is necessary.