ZocdocAnswersWhat is causing the twitching in my eyelid?

Question

What is causing the twitching in my eyelid?

My eye is twitching in the corner, right by my nose. It?s my right eye and goes for like 15 seconds when it twitches. What should I do? It?s starting to mess with how I sleep.

Answer

It sounds like you might be suffering from something known as blepharospasm, which is essentially an involuntary twitching or contraction of the eyelid. In some cases, the cause of blepharospasm is unknown, but it is generally a benign problem that doesn't signify any underlying serious medical disorder. Almost always, blepharospasm is thought to be caused by stress, fatigue, or lack of sleep. It generally improves if you can improve these things, for example by limiting the amount of time you spend staring at a computer monitor, improving your sleep schedule, and the like. Some people with blepharospams also find that the condition is worsened by alcohol or caffeine intake, so you may want to try eliminating those to see if that makes a difference. In rare cases, blepharospams is caused by certain medications. For example, there are reports that it may be associated with the hormone medications that some post menopausal women take. If you have recently started a new medication, you should ask you doctor if there is a possible association. If none of these strategies work, then you should get in to see your primary care doctor or your eye doctor. They will help you figure out if another treatment is indicated.