Could my headache be the sign of a serious problem?

I really never get headaches, I?m a 18 year old college freshman and live by myself for the first time. I?ve had a headache on the left side of my head for three days. Should I see a doctor about my pain or will it go away on its own? It?s also giving me some pain in my left eye.
Headaches are one of the most common complaints in young women such as yourself. Most of the time, headaches can be categorized into one of 4 categories. 1. Migraine headaches - These headaches are usually one sided and feel like they are throbbing. They can last anywhere from a few hours to a few days. They are one of the most common types of headaches. 2. Tension headaches - These type of headaches are caused by tension in the muscles of the neck. They begin in the back of the head an move over the top. The pain is often on both sides of the head. 3. Cluster headaches - these are unusual in women, but can be very painful and are described as an icepick in the eye. 4. Headaches from other medical conditions - These headaches are from other problems such as head trauma, brain tumors and other conditions. From your description you are likely suffering from a migraine headache. The only way to tell would be for you to get evaluated by a doctor. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. After an evaluation, your doctor can determine what type of headache you have, if treatment is necessary, and if you need referral to a specialist such as a neurologist.

• Dr. Shamim Shakibai
    Dr. Shamim Shakibai MD
    6801 Park Terrace Dr
    Los Angeles, CA 90045
  • Dr. Ramin Samadi
    Dr. Ramin Samadi MD
    5900 Overton Ridge Blvd
    Fort Worth, TX 76132
  • Dr. Julie Norley
    Dr. Julie Norley DO
    7534 E 2nd Street
    Scottsdale, AZ 85251