ZocdocAnswersIs it normal to have varicose veins if I?m only 20 years old?

Question

Is it normal to have varicose veins if I?m only 20 years old?

I just noticed some varicose veins on my legs. They?re small, but I see them. I work at a job where I stand all day, could this be causing the varicose veins? I am a girl and no one else in my family has this problem. Should I see a doctor?

Answer

Varicose veins are blood vessels that have enlarged because of years of blood sitting in them and stretching their walls. They become large and begin losing their shape. Varicose veins are usually not much of a health problem other than the fact that they can look unsightly. When they get large enough they can cause other issues such as pain, and ulcers over the skin that they are in. I will say that varicose veins are quite unusual in 20 year old women. I wander if what you have is something else. Only your doctor will be able to tell. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can examine your legs and determine if what you have is actually varicose veins. If they are, then it will be worth while trying to explore why you developed them at such a young age. The next step will be to work on a treatment plan to prevent them from getting any worse. This will include the use of tight compression stockings that will prevent blood from pooling in your veins while you are standing at your job. Other treatments are available as well that should probably be tabled for a later time when your veins are causing other health problems such as pain and leg ulcers. Good luck.