ZocdocAnswersWhat?s the best way to quit smoking?

Question

What?s the best way to quit smoking?

I need to quit smoking because I am trying to get pregnant with my husband. I?ve heard of prescriptions and things like that. Should I just quit cold turkey or take something to help me quit like the patch?

Answer

Quitting smoking is one of the most difficult processes. This is truly an achievement. However, as I am sure you aware, this is an achievement worth pursuing -- for both your future child and yourself. Congratulations on making the decision -- this is the first step. Unfortuantely, there is no easy way, but fortunately there are many aids that can help. I would STRONGLY recommend that you see your doctor to help in this journey. The data suggests that using aids helps people quit smoking at a higher rate than doing it by themselves "cold turkey." There are multiple aids your doctor can help you with. The first is a getting advice from a professional. 1-800-QUIT-NOW is a number than provides resources available in your state and can put you in touch with trained counselor. They can also give you a structure to your quitting, like setting a quit date and helping you with techniques. Your doctor can also prescribe medications to help. For example, nicotine patches can help. Nicotine gums are alos helpful. Electronic cigarrettes also are a new and sometimes helpful device. Chantix is a medication that can also help -- although is not recommended in pregnant women. Your doctor can help. I would encourage you talk to him or her. Good luck!