ZocdocAnswersWhat is involved with a yearly check-up from most doctors?

Question

What is involved with a yearly check-up from most doctors?

I don?t really like going to the doctor, but think I should at least have a check up. I am in my mid-forties and male and know that as I age, I might have more things go wrong. What should I expect during a routine check-up? I haven?t gone in years.

Answer

A routine annual check up with your primary care doctor will include a few different things depending on your age, sex, and family history. For a male in their 40s, the doctor will want to check your blood pressure, check your cholesterol, test you for diabetes with the hemoglobin a1c test, and review your past medical issues. If any of these are abnormal, then the doctor may want to place you on a medication, recommend a change to your diet or exercise routine, or may just want to see you back later that year. If you have a family history of certain cancers, then your doctor may initiate earlier testing. For example, if you have a close family member that had colon cancer, then the doctor may recommend you get a colonoscopy to screen for colon cancer. While most 40 year old males are fairly healthy, there are problems that you won't notice that could be detrimental to your health in your 50s and 60s. The most common problem that people don't notice is high blood pressure and high cholesterol. These two can lead to heart disease. I suggest that you schedule your appointment for an annual check up today. Good luck.