Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

Should I be worried about bruising following a Lovenox injection?

I recently had my hip replaced and had to have Lovenox injections. I noticed some bruising in the area where I had the injections. Is this normal? Should I be worried about the bruising?
Lovenox injecetions are commonly prescribed as a blood thinner. There are many problems that this can cause, and bruising is a very common cause. This is likely a normal result. I would recommend that you discuss this with your doctor at your next visit. Lovenox is a brand of what we call "low molecular weight heparin" or LMWH. This is a type of blood thinner that can be given as an injection. There are many reasons that we would to thin blood, but in your case (after a hip replacement) this is to prevent blood clots. People often move less after the surgery, so the blood in the legs move less and clots can form. These clots are known deep vein thromboses or DVTs. A bruise is when blood leaks into the skin. This is medically known as an ecchymosis. An injection of a blood thinner is likely to cause a bruise because the injection can damage the skin and the thinned blood is easier to leak out. Therefore this is expected. This rarely can be a sign of "over thinned" blood. This means you are taking too high of a dose of lovenox or the injections are causing a problem. I woudl recommend rotating the site of your injection and talking to your doctor.

• Dr. Joseph Sack
    Dr. Joseph Sack MD
    7570 W 21st St N