"If my mouth ulcer will not heal, what should I do?"

I have a mouth ulcer and it won?t go away. I don?t know how to fix it. I am a 34 year old woman.
As with any non-healing ulcer found in the body I would definitely recommend seeing a physician to have it looked at. There are many different processes that can cause ulcers within the mouth. However at the forefront of any ENTs mind is that they want to make sure first that you don't have a cancer that is causing a non-healing ulcer in your mouth. I don't say this to scare you, but rather to let you know that every physician is going to try and rule out the worst things first when they examine you. So don't be surprised if they ask you questions along these lines. There are of course numerous different non-malignant (non-cancerous) processes that can give you ulcers in the mouth such as viral infections (like the herpes virus, HSV-1, which is the main cause of what most people refer to as "cold sores") or autoimmune processes. Autoimmune diseases are when the body, for whatever reason, fails to recognize "self" and your own immune system can attack some of your normal tissue. There are of course dermatologic disorders which manifest within the mouth as ulcers. I would recommend starting out by seeing an ENT (Ears, Nose, Throat, aka otolaryngologist) or a dermatologist that specializes in oral lesions. They may decide to perform a biopsy of the ulcer to get a diagnosis depending on the history and exam. I hope that this information is helpful, and I wish you all the best.

• Dr. Jonathan Berman
    Dr. Jonathan Berman MD, FACS
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    670 Glades Road
    Boca Raton, FL 33431
  • Dr. Daniel Leeman
    Dr. Daniel Leeman MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    3607 Manor Road
    Austin, TX 78723
  • Dr. Adrian Varela
    Dr. Adrian Varela MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    10330 SE 32nd Ave
    Milwaukie, OR 97222