ZocdocAnswersDid I pull a muscle in my back or is it something more serious?

Question

Did I pull a muscle in my back or is it something more serious?

I was working out with a friend of mine, just doing normal weight lifting stuff, and pulled something in the right side of my back. It went away after a couple weeks, but now it?s started on the left side. What?s going on?

Answer

Have you noticed any sharp pains running down your legs or into your buttocks. Have you noticed any weakness, numbness, or tingling in your legs since this incident occurred? Have you had any change in your bowel or bladder function, such as having accidents or inability to control when you have a bowel or bladder movement. These questions, along with your medical history and presenting symptoms will help your primary care doctor decide upon the appropriate work up and possible treatment options available for you. These may include lab tests, imaging studies or even a referral depending on what is found. In general, heavy lifting can cause muscle strains or sprains but it because of the potential more serious possibilities, such as herniated discs, this is why it is important that you are evaluated by your primary care doctor who will best be able to evaluate what further work up and treatment options are available.