Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"What should I do about a dull ache in my heel?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat should I do about a dull ache in my heel?


I fixed something on my roof last weekend, and jumped down onto the concrete after. It wasn?t very high, but now my left heel hurts all the time. Just a dull aching thing. Should I get this checked out?


It sounds like you have suffered from a small injury to your heal. Jumping down to a hard surface can do damage to the foot if you land in an unusual way. The structure of the heal is not designed to withstand an impact. Therefore even jumps or falls from a short height can result in minor injuries. The important question is whether your injury is something minor or something that needs further medical attention. A minor injury would be one in which only the soft tissue under your skin is bruised. The only way to find out is to have your heal evaluated. The question to answer is whether or not you have possibly broken one of your heal bones, or torn one of your ligaments or tendons. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can examine your foot and heal and determine if there is a possibility of an injury to a bone, ligament or tendon. If that possibility exists, then you will need referral to an orthopedic surgeon or podiatrist. In order to make this call, you may need to have x-rays done of the foot to rule out a broken bone, or possibly an MRI to rule out any tendon or ligament damage.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.