ZocdocAnswersHow can I get to bed faster at night?

Question

How can I get to bed faster at night?

I?m afraid I have insomnia. I?m 18 years old and stay up all night for no reason. I don?t want to take pills or nothing. What is a natural way to get good sleep? Should I go to a psychiatrist?

Answer

The answer to your problem depends on why your are having trouble sleeping. In general, everyone should be getting between 7 and 9 hours of sleep every night. The best way to fall asleep naturally is to develop a routine every night around the time you plan to go to sleep. This may involve changing your room around a bit. Make sure that television sets and video games are removed from your room. Turn all clocks around (so you can't see them). Some people think that a fan or another soft noise maker helps them get to sleep. A very common cause of insomnia is depression. Depression can make it tough to get to sleep, and tough to get back to sleep when you wake up in the middle of the night. If this is your problem, then you need to see a doctor soon to get evaluated and treated. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can listen to your sleep problems and determine if what there cause is. If you are found to have a medical cause of your insomnia, then you should get treated. If you are found to have depression, then you should begin treatment and perhaps see a psychiatrist. Good luck.