ZocdocAnswersWhy would there be pain in my navel?

Question

Why would there be pain in my navel?

I was sitting down a lot today, and after I got up, there was sharp pain in my navel/belly button. It hasn?t gone away. When I move around, it still hurts. Is this a symptom of something? What could cause this?

Answer

You should pay close attention to this pain and if it is worsening in any way you should seek medical evaluation. Abdominal pain is a common complaint, and it is usually just related to indigestion, heartburn, gas, etc. It can also be caused by straining the muscles of the abdominal wall. However, sometimes abdominal pain can be serious. For example appendicitis often starts as pain around the belly button that then moves downward and to the right. If you notice this happens, or if there are any other concerning symptoms such as nausea and vomiting or fever, you should seek medical attention. Your doctor can help you determine whether or not the pain you are having is from a serious cause. They can do this by performing a physical examination (pressing on your stomach, listening with a stethoscope). If they think there is something serious going on, they may want some additional tests to help sort things out such as blood tests or x-rays or other radiology studies. If, on the other hand, they don't think anything serious is going on, then they will give you instructions for managing the abdominal pain until it goes away. Good luck!