ZocdocAnswersCould something be causing the numbness in my pinky finger?

Question

Could something be causing the numbness in my pinky finger?

I play baseball for a team with some friends in the summer time. I am a pitcher and after I have to throw, my pinky has been going numb. It lasts a couple of days. Should I be worried? I?m 25 year old guy.

Answer

Have you ever had anything like this before? Does this happen in both hands or just in the one that you use to throw? Do you have any weakness, or just numbness in that finger? These are important questions to discuss with your primary care doctor, and along with your medical history, presenting symptoms and clinical exam, will help him decide the appropriate work up and potential treatment options. This may include labs tests or imaging studies depending on what is found. In general, there are a variety of causes for this numbness in your pink finger, and many of them may be benign from irritation and overuse of that hand while you are playing baseball. On the other hand, because there is a risk for something serious underlying this numbness, it is important that you are evaluated by your primary care doctor as he or she will best be able to decide upon the appropriate work up and potential treatment options. It is very difficult to evaluate and treat your complaint over the internet.